Crime Prevention Month Activities From Maryland’s Community Crime Prevention Institute
Towson, MD (September 25, 2012) --- Designated by the National Crime Prevention Council in 1984, October is National Crime Prevention Month. Maryland’s Community Crime Prevention Institute (MCCPI), a division of the Police and Correctional Training Commission (PCTC) under the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, will join law enforcement and citizens across the country this month in presenting educational and awareness activities to help stop crime before it happens.
During FY12 MCCPI staff trained and educated more than 5,000 people on crime prevention topics that ranged from gangs in the community, bullying, cyber-bullying, drug abuse and personal safety for seniors – including strategic planning for organizations to develop their own crime prevention activities. They are also a resource center for crime prevention materials.
This past February the Institute also added a grant funded position to offer School Gang Awareness and Prevention training for administrators, teachers, other school staff as well as parents in Maryland. MCCPI also hosted students this spring at PCTC’s driver training facility for a first-hand lesson on the perils of drunk driving during prom season.
While MCCPI is active throughout the year, you can find their crime prevention specialists at the following activities around the state during National Crime Prevention Month:
- October 2 - Personal Safety – Carroll County Commission on Aging - Mt. Airy Senior and Community Center, Carroll County
- October 3-4 - Basic Crime Prevention – James Robey Center, Howard County
- October 5 - Gang Awareness – Baltimore County Board of Education, Towson
- October 5 - Boy’s Mentoring Program – Spring Hill Lake Elementary – Prince George’s Co.
- October 9 - Gang Awareness Training for Staff – White Marsh Elementary School, Talbot County
- October 9 - Identity Theft – Carroll County Office on Aging, Taneytown Senior and Community Center, Carroll County
- October 12 - Boy’s Mentoring Program – Spring Hill Lake Elementary – Prince George’s Co.
- October 15-19 - Maryland Crime Prevention Association/Maryland Community Crime Prevention Institute Annual Training Conference – for law enforcement and community crime prevention representatives – Ocean City
- Topics: Homeland Security; Human Trafficking; Sovereign Citizens; Bullying and Personal Safety; Active Shooter/Crime Prevention for Private and Public Sector Businesses; Impact of Crime on Victims; and more
- October 16 - Gang Awareness Parent Training - Century High School, Sykesville
- October 22 - Gang Awareness Training for Staff – Carroll County Public Schools
- October 22 - Financial Exploitation – for law enforcement staff – Police and Correctional Training Commissions, Sykesville
- October 23 - Personal Safety - Carroll County Commission on Aging, Sykesville Senior and Community Center
- October 24 - Alcohol/Drug Abuse Prevention Booth – Red Ribbon Week Observance, U.S. Secret Service, Washington, DC
- October 25 - Sexual Predators/Cyber-Bullying – NSA, Fort Meade
For more information on one of these seminars, or if your organization/community group is interested in setting up a similar presentation, please contact MCCPI Director Patricia Sill at 410-875-3421 or email@example.com.